Clothing Allowance

Clothing allowances may be issued to help members pay for their uniforms. There are four main types of clothing allowance:

  • Initial
  • Replacement
  • Maintenance
  • Extra

Initial Clothing Allowance

Both officers and enlisted members of the U.S. Armed Forces are entitled to an initial clothing allowance. Office , however, are only entitled to the allowance once except in the situation noted below:

  • Upon first reporting for active duty (other than for training) for a period of more than 90 days.
  • Upon completing at least 14 days of active duty or active duty for training as a member of a Reserve Component
  • Upon completing 14 periods of inactive-duty training as a member of the Ready Reserve (Each period must be of at least 2 hours duration)
  • Upon reporting for the first period of active duty required of a member of the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program. NOTE: Upon transfer to another Reserve Component that requires a different uniform, a Reserve officer may receive another initial uniform allowance. Regular officers may not receive this allowance when transferring to another Military Service.

This allowance is provided to enlisted members upon initial enlistment or upon special qualification.

Cash Clothing Replacement Allowance

This allowance is payable only to enlisted members annually following initial clothing allowance on the anniversary month. This is for the replacement of uniforms based on normal wear and tear.

Extra Clothing Allowance

Extra Clothing Allowance are additional to the other two and do not affect them. These allowances are for situations in which a member may need additional uniforms or is required to have civilian clothing to perform his/her duties.

 Civilian Clothing Allowance (FY2023)
 Type of Duty Initial   Replacement 15 days in 30 day period  30 days in 36 month period 
 $0 $0 
 Temporary  $0 $0   $391.32 $781.20


Military Clothing Maintenance Allowance

This allowance is for replacement and maintenance of military items during and after three years of active duty. If a member has a break in military service, he/she will start over with the initial clothing allowance upon returning to the service. He/She will then receive Cash Clothing Replacement Allowance and Military Clothing Maintenance Allowance as applicable.