Leave Benefits at Separation

Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY)

When you are ready to search for a post-separation job or housing you may be eligible for authorized PTDY.  PTDY facilitates transition into civilian life by providing time off for house and job hunting.  This benefit is for military members being involuntarily separated under honorable conditions, or retiring from active duty.

Personnel being discharged or released from active service as involuntary separatees under honorable conditions may receive up to 30 days of leave, or transition PTDY up to 10 days, as required, to facilitate relocation. However, the leave may not be available if it will interfere with military missions.

The spouse of an eligible involuntary separatee or a retiree may take one round trip on a military aircraft for house and job hunting on a space-available basis. He or she does not have to be accompanied by a military spouse. Similarly, if you are attending a DoD-approved transition assistance seminar, you may use military air transportation, if available.

Service members separating at the end of a normal term of service (ETS – Expiration Term of Service) or (EAOS – End of Active Duty Obligated Service) are not eligible for PTDY.


Selling Back Leave

Enlisted troops can sell back leave when they re-enlist or when they leave the military with an honorable discharge. Officers can sell back leave only when separating from the military under honorable conditions. Members may sell back up to 60 days of leave over the span of their career.

Separating and/or retiring members with extra leave

Members who are approaching transition with extra leave have 3 choices regarding what to do with that leave.  They can: (1) use the leave before transition, (2) sell back the leave when they transition (3) take terminal or separation leave.

Using Regular Leave

Members who are transitioning may choose to use their regular leave prior to transition, with approval.

Selling Back Leave

Transitioning members may sell back any unused leave.  Members are authorized to receive a cash payment for any unused leave when they separate from the military if they are retiring or separating with an honorable discharge.

Taking Terminal Leave

You can also take what is known as terminal or separation leave when you are being discharged.

Terminal leave is just like regular leave except that members aren't required to report back to their duty station after completion of the leave.  The member can move to their desired location without returning to work.