- Develop and oversee implementation of personnel policies that maintain fair and competitive compensation and entitlement systems.
- Formulate, implement, and administer DoD policy on Military Personnel Compensation for the total force.
- Chair the DoD Armed Forces Tax Council; and initiate tax related legislation, litigation and administration action.
- Policy Analysis, Determination, and Oversight of:
- Active Duty and Reserve Military Pay and Allowances
- Retired Pay & Survivor Benefits
- Imminent Danger Areas, Hardship Duty Areas & Combat Zones
- Taxation of military pay
- Legislation development and review of compensation related issues
- Oversight & Coordination with External Administration Agencies:
- Department of Veteran Affairs
- Disability Compensation
- Servicemember's Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
- Department of Labor
- Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Service members
- Monitor Health Care and other non-compensation benefits for Active Duty, Reserve and Retired Members